Thursday, January 30, 2014

Will O' the Wisp by Tom Hammock Graphic Novel Review


I love graphic novels.. I saw this one on Netgalley and the cover was really intriguing. The I was in the comic book store the other day and I saw this book on the shelf and I really wanted to read it.  I love how it is package, in a diary format almost.  The book has a little clasp on it and everything.  Here is the goodreads description:

After her parents' accidental death by mushroom poisoning, young Aurora Grimeon is sent to live with her estranged grandfather on Ossuary Isle, deep in the southern swamps. Joined by her grandfather's pet raccoon Missy, Aurora explores the fog-covered island of graves. Along the way she meets its sinister residents who care for the tombstones and mausoleums, living out their lives by the strange rules of Hoodoo magic. When ghostly things start happening out in the swamp and island residents start disappearing, Aurora thrusts herself into the middle of the mystery, uncovering secrets that might be better left buried. 

I think this book is great.  I loved the mix of fantasy and horror.  Plus the artwork helped make this book extra spooky (illustrator is Megan Hutchinson). I loved the color scheme in the book too.... blues, greens and browns. Looks like maybe this will be a series? "An Aurora Grimeon Story” is written on the top of the cover so I can only hope there are more books. The plot basically follows this girl Aurora whose parents die from eating bad mushrooms, so she has to move to swamp and live with her grandfather.  She meets a lot of neat characters and encounters a blue orb that floats around the island.


Will O' the Wisp has a great cast... including Aurora's sidekick a raccoon named Missy.  Missy is hilarious and cute to me at the same time.  Aurora herself I think is a great female character too.  There is even a little spark of romance in the book. This video tells about the making of the book and gives us an even better glimpse into the artwork.



I loved this book... it is a little scary so even though the art is whimsical and fun I wouldn't say it's for kids.  I love that I was able to sit down for like an hour and read it and just enjoy myself!   I received this book from netgalley for free for an honest review.



The crystal ball says:


Sun is shinning!!!  Great day to go outside and read this book.


*** Make sure your Disqus ID has your blog listed in your profile so I can visit your blog back, or leave a link to your blog.  If you can't see the comments contact me.***

11 comments:

  1. Ooh I do love graphic novels. I want to read more. This sounds great. The title makes me think of the animated movie Brave. I think they had will o the wisps in that one.
    Lauren from www.shootingstarsmagblogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. They did have the wisps in Brave!!! Except in this graphic novel the wisp is evil. This one is free on netgalley if you want to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not big on graphic novels but this one looks cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I haven't really paid much attention to Graphic Novels but I really enjoyed your post. Hmm I think I will be peeking at this next time I am on NetGalley :)

    Chanzie @ Mean Who You Are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is cool.. and the art is amazing. The colors really draw you into the story. I was also surprised at how scary it got at the end!! Spooky!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Plus if you can get it easily through netgalley then why not? It's free and you just access it from your computer!! I think a lot of times people think of graphic novels like the comic books with super heroes and they aren't all like that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me too!!! I think maybe if it's successful there might be another one. Though I am not sure if the story will stay in the swamp or move somewhere else. What do you think????

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never seen this one before but I do find the cover and art very appealing, however I am not a big fan of horror. I might have to check it out though because the more I look at the art the more I want to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a mixture of fantasy/horror to me. I don't think it's scary but it is horror and not for kids. I really enjoyed it though.. it has a mix of voodoo, witchcraft, and monsters!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ages ago?? LOL! I will have to stop by now and check it out again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nowadays the child would have been taken care of by the child protective agencies, and what happens to them there is as graphic as you can imagine, and as mysterious to most people as anything you can imagine, mysterious to the child itself also, because it will often be drugged not to remember very well.

    ReplyDelete