Monday, January 20, 2014

Jennifer Adam's Children Classic Books Review


I love these picture books sooo much.  I know that you may be like... those books are for little kids.  Well yes they are.  But really neat picture books.  Written by Jennifer Adams and illustrated by Alison Oliver, these books are beautiful.  I first saw them in an independent book store in Houston Murder by the Book.  This is one of the reasons independent book stores are fun.  There was a display with these cute books.  I bought the Dracula   (a counting book) for my nephew on the spot.  My sister and I love spooky stuff so I knew this way a fun way to introduce my nephew to Dracula.

Pages from the Dracula book

I recently checked out all of these from the library to look at them.   I think these are a great way to introduce kids to the classics. The art work is wonderful... a lot of neat details went into these books. I have read  Sense and Sensibility, Sherlock Holmes, Wuthering Heights, and Moby Dick.  I really enjoyed the Wuthering Heights book.. each page is am illustration of the house from the book in different weather.  The books are hard and sturdy so there is really no way for little kids to ruin them.



Page from Sherlock
Page from Sherlock
I looked in my local Barnes and Nobles to find them and look through the ones I missed but surprisingly they were no where to be found on the shelves!  I wish they were on the shelves there for people to see.  They are unique and I think the perfect gift.  There is also a Jane Eyre, A Christmas Carol, Anna Karenina, Romeo and Juliet, Pride and Prejudice, and the Jabberwocky.




If you are out and about in bookstores and see these pick one up and look through it. Even if you haven't read the original classic story I think you will still have fun with the book.

31 comments:

  1. OH MY! Angela you always feature the best stuff around here!<3 I really want one and I do give a care that it's for little kids, I want one just for myself…even if I haven't read any of those except A Christmas Carol and Dracula. The Moby Dick cover looks so adorable! I have a big fetish for whales and why does is it have to look so cute?! > __ <

    Anyways, hope everything is amazing for you, Angela!<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are really good books. The artwork is amazing.. and I don't care that they are children's books either. It was funny... my mom was visiting when I was reading these and she said to me "what are you going to do with those?" LOL!! Since they are kids books she was mind blown. I told her the art was beautiful and I was having fun looking at them. So I showed her a few pictures in Wuthering Heights and she did enjoy seeing them. You don't even have to read the originals to enjoy these!!

      Delete
  2. Adorable! I read the P&P one on pinterest and just loved it. If I ever see them in a bookshop here, I'll be picking them up and they would make a great pressie for little ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that are the perfect gifts for toddlers!! There are ones for boys and girls (or if you are like me... both can read all of them).

      Delete
    2. Me too! I love picture books, why should kids have all the fun!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. They are soo cute.. I think the art would be perfect as prints in a kid's room!

      Delete
  4. Theses are adorable! So cute, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know... I had to share them even though I am not really a children's book reader.

      Delete
  5. These are super cute. More for adults really, but I'd definitely want to buy them if I had kids. The author used to be a bookseller at The King's English bookshop in Salt Lake. That's where I first saw them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I have been to Salt Lake several times and haven't been to the King's English! I must go there next time I visit.

      Delete
  6. I came across these when I was looking for Christmas presents for my niece! But her parents aren't readers (and even I'm not that into the classics) so I took a pass. Probably something I'll be looking for when I have kids though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's perfect!! I love the spookiness of Dracula yet not too scary for little toddlers. If I had kids I would get them all these books!

      Delete
  7. These books look so adorable! I hope to see one next time I go to B&N!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are ridiculously cute and I know that isn't manly to say. I have to get the Sherlock Holmes one. I used to read those to my son when he was little and I would love to add that book to my Sherlock Holmes collection. Plus my 8 month old might enjoy them too soon. Great post I love these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your 8 month old will love them!! They are really sturdy and like... wooden? I don't know if that is the right word to use. Trust me.. my husband says things are cute too.. he helped me pick curtains!! LOL!! But for real though these would be perfect for your kids and just fun fun art.

      Delete
  9. Thanks Angela for posting this! I collect children's books and have never before seen these. I have put them on my wishlist, they look amazing! I especially like the 'little miss Austen' books. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun that you collect them. These you will really like then I bet. Personally I think they are really clever. I like how some are counting, some are weather, some are sounds, some are about the ocean... just fun and good learning tools.

      Delete
  10. Love them! Great recommendations as always. Anna Karenina is my favorite. I remember when I was a kid and my mom told me about Anna Karenina. I loved to listen her storytelling. I Think it would be a good way to introduce the classics to my kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish now I had taken a picture of the wall in the bookstore that had them displayed. It was such an eye catcher! I was like... what is this epicness!!!

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. I need to check out Jennifer Adam's other books now. She has some adult ones.

      Delete
  12. OMG!!! These look soooo cute! WANT THEM ALL!! But esp. Sherlock, P&P and Jane Eyre :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a few and love love love them. I want them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would want them all too!! I mean... what a cute collection. I also think these are books kids might keep in their library forever.

      Delete
  14. I love these I of course own the jane eyre one already lol I also have the cozy classics version as well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fun!! I can't wait to try out her adult books.

    ReplyDelete